So you want to be a Copywriter



Hi there,

First of all let me start by saying the blunt truth, writing is not for everyone. Have you ever seen this habit whereby when someone starts a butchery business in a neighborhood and it does well, several other butcheries will come up in the next few months? Am sure you have. These other butcheries sprung out of assumption, no market research was done. The assumption that many people have is that if there is someone making it in online writing then they too can.
Copywriting is not copying/ PHOTO/http://justjasonjames.com/assets/copywriting-skills-tips-techniques.jpg

Most people think writing is just typing what they read or copy pasting. Being an online writer is about being smart and creative. We take someone else’s idea , read it and then write it in our own words. We research different sources and put them together using the best creativity and grammar skills.

I have seen several people succeeding in Upwork while I have been sub contracted there. I have no direct Upwork tasks but guess what? My gigs on Fiverr are on fire. I almost got discouraged but I said, kwenda uko Upwork kwani are you the only online work platform? Why am I telling you this? I am telling you this so that you know there are going to be days you feel like quitting.

You cannot be a writer, a successful one for that matter if you do not read and hunger for new words. Am not bragging, but I read across the bridge, the birds of Kamiti, the concubine, a bit of things fall apart when I was in class three. I loved reading newspapers and watching Richard Quest and Christina Amanpor on CNN. Their language worked wonders on my mind. I have read all the Shakespeare books and I keep on looking for more books to read. When I hear new words I pause and let them sink in so that I can use them in my language.

I cannot train you on how to write, I can only correct you. The only way to learn writing is by writing and writing from the heart. Let money not be your main motivation or else your work lacks salt. You need to write like your life depends on it. Write because you know you were meant for it, not because you are jobless or because you have a laptop and internet connection. Write because you are right.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts