Uncouth Hiring Managers On LinkedIn







Just last month I responded to a job post on LinkedIn. It was by a mobile search engine company and they were looking for news writers. I decided to apply and the very next day I received a call from their hiring manager. He apologized for calling late but he then stated that with online work, you can call anytime, something that I didn’t agree with.

He then discovered who he was talking to...
Him: So you won a million shillings?
Me: Yes I did and I really thank God
Him: So why are you looking for a job and yet you are a millionaire?
Me :  Who said that millionaires don’t work? Mark and Bill are billionaires and they are working
Him: They work for themselves
Me: I work for myself too and I can make a choice after this interview
Him: So you were on attachment at the Standard?...... You did nothing, 3 months is nothing

Your guess is as good as mine, I was already furious. Is this what interviews have amounted to these days? The man went from making me angry to bordering insult.



Now I truly believe that when someone says there are no jobs, they mean it. They are not lazy. It seems there is always going to be a rude and insecure hiring manager trying to protect their territory by blocking qualified talent.

I am not saying that I am the most qualified but integrity and dignity are important when dealing with people. The guy then told me he will call me if I qualified. He never did. I sent him all my news stories that have been published and told him that he should never say that I did nothing.

Honestly, I believe that there was no interview. This guy just saw me as a threat and decided to extinguish the fire. A good interview does not start by accusation or belittling people.

I would urge companies to come up with a protocol for hiring because some hiring managers are uncouth. By the way, I searched LinkedIn and found the Guy. I won’t name him but he started working for the company in August 2019 according to his LinkedIn profile.

If you ever find yourself in such a situation, take the high road. Do not insult the hiring manager. Their actions should not reflect on your character. They are the ones with a problem. Smile and try again because someone just made their company lose the chance to work with a great person who might have just brought about the much-needed paradigm shift.



Comments

Popular Posts